5 Ways You Can Support Small Creative Businesses
Small, independent businesses have been hit hard this year by the economic damage wrought by Covid-19. Multiple lockdowns have resulted in a surge of internet shopping; especially for multinational companies that are able to provide the convenience of next day delivery and boast a larger variety of products. Meanwhile, smaller self-employed businesses and independent creatives have suffered as a result.
Many independent and creative businesses need our help now more than ever. During this giving season, we should all do our part to keep these small businesses thriving. I have listed 5 simple ways you can support small businesses during this tough time and grab yourself something magnificent as well!
1. Struggling to find those thoughtful Christmas presents for your loved ones? Instead of hitting the big shops, try finding something beautiful from a small business: like an art print, or a handmade mug, or cute handmade earrings. The opportunities are endless, and the best part is they can often be personalised too. Also, the cute hand-made packaging many businesses offer means you won’t even have to wrap all your gifts!
2. Like, comment and share posts! Most creatives have shops on social media. You can show them some love by engaging with their posts, liking and commenting. It’s great publicity and makes a difference knowing people love their work.
3. Recommend to friends and family! One of the best ways you can show your support is through word of mouth. Recommending businesses to people helps them attract new customers through free advertising, making their business grow overall.
4. Write a positive review! Reviews are so helpful to small businesses as it shows that people like their products, encouraging others to buy from them too. If you love the product, you should let them know.
5. Buy gift cards! Even if there is nothing you like at the moment. Creatives are constantly inventing and looking to release new items. They also make handy presents if you’re not quite sure what to get someone.
These are just a few of many ways you can support creators. Here are some of my personal recommendations to help get you started shopping independent:
By Ridi Hossain